The NSW Premier's Sporting Challenge is a NSW Government initiative that aims to engage young people in sport and physical activity and encourage them to lead healthy, active lifestyles. It includes a range of programs with one common purpose: to have more students, more active, more often!
The program was launched in 2008, with 400 schools and 78,000 students taking part in the inaugural year. In 2013, over 247,000 students from more than 1100 schools took up the Challenge.
The NSW Premier’s Sporting Challenge is supported by, and works with, many of the state sporting organisations.
It includes the following programs:
- The Premier’s Primary and Secondary School Sport Challenges involve classes participating in a 10 week sport and physical activity challenge
- Staff Challenge provides a great opportunity for staff to be seen as physical activity advocates
- Lifting Your Game encourages principals, school executive, teachers and the wider school community to promote and celebrate student achievement through participation in equitable, well planned sport and physical activity programs
- Sport Leadership Program to support students in developing the skills to organise, administer, coach, referee or train a variety of sports and modified activities
- PSC App to help record activities, get Challenge ambassador encouragements and calculate kilojoules burned, distance travelled and speed attained.
For more information on the NSW Premier’s Sporting Challenge and how to get involved, visit NSW Premier's Sporting Challenge website (new window).