What is Munch & Move?
The Munch & Move program aims to promote and encourage children's healthy eating and physical activity and reduce small screen recreation. Through Munch & Move NSW early childhood educators have the opportunity to attend a full day training program that assists them to implement a fun, play-based approach to supporting healthy eating and physical activity habits in young children. The Munch & Move training program fits within the new National Quality Framework and the Early Years Learning Framework. The program is a NSW Health initiative with support from the NSW Department of Human Services (Community Services) and the Local Health Districts.
The Munch & Move program offers:
- Face-to-face high quality training, conducted by a Registered Training Organisation.
- Practical resources to help incorporate active play and healthy eating into learning experiences for young children.
- Information, ideas and resources for developing and implementing practical physical activity and healthy eating policies and practices within the early childhood setting.
- Advice and support from local health professionals to assist services to implement the program.
- Parent-focussed support materials that provide simple, practical tips and ideas to engage children in active play and healthy eating at home.
Why do we need Munch & Move?
Early childhood is the ideal time for children to form healthy food and physical activity habits that will give them the best chance of maintaining a healthy weight throughout their lives. It is also a great time to cultivate the fundamental movement skills and confidence children need to enjoy physical activities at school.
Many children spend a substantial amount of time in early childhood services, therefore it is important that these services provide an environment that supports and encourages healthy lifestyles for young children with a focus on physical activity and healthy eating.
The Munch & Move key messages
The six key messages that form the basis of the Munch & Move program are:
- Encourage and support breastfeeding
- Choose water as a drink
- Eat more fruit and vegetables
- Choose healthier snacks
- Get active each day
- Turn off the television and computer and get active
For more information
For more information about the Munch & Move program including a training calendar for 2013-2014, downloadable resources, order forms and case studies check out the related links below.